The 18C saw a rise in road-making and earth-moving to improve estates. In 1771, as part of a grand plan for Brocklesby, ‘Capability’ Brown designed a ‘holloway’.
The road was dug out and lowered to hide everyday traffic from the house between his new kennels and hexagonal walled gardens including gashouse, orchard and melon ground.
This also set the 14 C All Saints Church up as if on a mound. Increasingly churches were appreciated as ‘eyecatchers’ and set off with tree-planting to add views to the park.