William Stukeley’s drawing ‘A View of Aserby (Aswarby) July 1730’ (image held in the collection of the Bodleian Library)
Here is a designed view north in Aswarby Park towards a garden arcade at the head of a canal. At this time a medicinal spring in the park drew ‘vast crowds’. This may have been a bath -house a feature of important early 18C gardens. It leads the eye towards two eye-catchers: the church steeples of St Denys, Silk Willoughby and St Denys, Sleaford. Notice the ‘park pale’ (fence) edging plantations left and right, and the boundary belt plantation behind the arcade.